(1) Grand Prize Winner Kindle Paperwhite Reader
(1) Grand Prize Winner Kindle
(2) Grand Prize Winners of 6 month Subscription to Kindle Unlimited!
AND gain access to the AXP guide to 70+ Top Kindle Books & Series you can read for FREE through KU!
The End – a thrilling short story
Rave Reviews Book Club Sponsors Blog Hop!
Welcome to the first ever ALL ABOUT THE SPONSORS BLOG HOP! These kind members of the RAVE REVIEWS BOOK CLUB (#RRBC) donated their support during the 2017 conference, in the way of gift card and Kindle e-book donations for our Gift Basket Raffle. To reward them for their support they are being featured on a variety of blogs to showcase their work.
There are several books on tour today, so please visit the HOP’S main page to follow along. See what you like the look of, grab a book or two, have a read and leave a review – that’s the best ‘thank you’ any author can ever receive.
Also, for every comment that you leave along this tour, including on the HOP’S main page, your name will be entered into a drawing for an Amazon gift card to be awarded at the end of the tour!
Continue reading “ALL ABOUT THE #RRBC SPONSORS BLOG HOP! @BornforMidwife”
A run-of-the-mill fantasy story with some interesting ideas
The Teralin Sword was an interesting story with some great plot points. I was particularly gripped by the concept of the mineral Teralin itself. The author developed a really cool concept with the nature of this metal and its ability to be forged into fascinating weapons. I also enjoyed the dark monks and their evil ways – they lent a brutal gravitas to the book and gave the protagonist a believable and sympathetic motive for his part in the story.
Continue reading “Review of Soldier Son: The Terralin Sword by D.K. Holmberg”
As this blog focuses on world-building, I want to share with you my review of a great urban fantasy book I read recently that has excellent world-building – Nite Fire: Flash Point by C.L. Schneider – Enjoy!
A dark, gritty urban fantasy that is reminiscent of Jessica Jones
This book took me a long time to finish, not because I wasn’t enjoying it but because every inch of the world is so rich and loaded with fantastic details which all come together to build an image of this heavy, dark city plagued by crime and a nasty underworld of creature attacks. I was strongly reminded of the Jessica Jones TV show. This book has the same film-noir feel to it – sour, embittered detectives and dark underworld goings-on. The protagonist, Dahlia Nite is also very Jessica Jones – strong, independent and won’t take any nonsense from anybody!
As with all of C.L. Schneider’s work, the plot is complex and well-developed, the characters grey and layered. Nothing is as it seems, and there is always layer upon layer of mystery, intrigue, snappy comebacks and downright brutal violence. Schneider is one of few authors I read who can make my jaw physically drop. She is a master of the epic reveal!
A cracking read – I can’t wait for the next in the series!
More from C.L. Schneider:
So, I’ve been pretty quiet lately. Why, you ask? Well, I’ve been super busy. Here’s what has been happening with me lately:
- My first novel, ‘The Phoenix Project’, got through to the final round of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category of the Kindle Book Review! I am incredibly proud of this achievement, and even if I don’t win, it is such an honour to have come this far. I will find out the result on November 1st. Eeek!
- November 1st is going to be an important date for me, because not only will I find out the winner of the Kindle Book Review, but it is also the first day of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). I have never taken part in the proper NaNo before (although I did complete Camp NaNo – the mini version – this year.) So, for the month of November, I will be attempting to write a complete new project of 50,000+ words from scratch. Though I am mid-way through another book at the moment, I’ve decided to start a new story from my fantasy series – The Light and Shadow Chronicles.
- I have so many projects in the pipeline at the moment that it’s difficult to keep up with it all! I’ve created a spreadsheet of my books and the progress I’m making. My next book to be released will be The Shield of Soren (the adult version of ‘Soren’). Following that will be ‘Genesis of Light’.